First Reserve has had a formal Responsible Investment Policy in place since 2009. We believe that proactive Responsible Investment with a focus on environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) considerations is not only our obligation as a matter of corporate integrity but can help promote long-term value on behalf of our investors.
First Reserve’s ESG Focus
- Pre-Investment Due Diligence seeks to avoid ownership in companies known to not respect human rights, comply with applicable social and environmental legislation, avoid corrupt business practices, or uphold the highest standards of business integrity and honesty.
- Portfolio Management and Monitoring seeks to ensure proliferation of our Responsible Investment policies and procedures through sharing of best practices and partnership with company management
Commitment to Responsible Investing
- Signatory of the voluntary framework of the United Nations-backed Principles for Responsible Investing (“UN PRI”) in the year it was introduced
- Member of the Working Group that established the inaugural handbook to guide other GPs in incorporating PRI into their investment considerations
- Contributed to national environmental standards formulation process through collaboration with the US Department of Energy to improve shale gas production best practices, disclosure and technology
- Endorsed the European Venture Capital Association Code of Conduct and the guidelines of Transparency International
- Adopted the principles of the Private Equity Council